www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know you are there........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: I know you are there........ Reply with quote

So cmon then boys, I know you are back from France and I am waiting to hear all about it. Can we start with Wals trip there, his few laps, followed by his trip home?

See, news travels fast...........

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wal_aka_kev
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey Dokey.

Got down there in fine fashion pulling the fish mobile on the fish cart and the glorious RG next to it. Apart from having to switch the radio back on every 20 mins a totally uneventful 14 hrs behind the wheel.

RG took a little bit of starting but when it was warm you could just walk to start it. It sounds absolutely awesome! I have 2 maps in it and it was set to the Thunderbikes legal map (as opposed to the total fun 94hp map.) Took it out onto track and had a smile on may face by the second lap - unbelievable power but it really rips your arms out of their sockets when it comes in. The bike will not pull away (it will stall) below 5000 revs. So I pulled away at 10,000 by accident....

It turns itself very hard into corners once you are off the neutral steering position but this is just something I need to get used to. Likewise the footpegs are too high so I will drop them an inch. The brakes are truly the best I have ever had.

In lap 5 I was really getting the idea and came screaming up the hill onto the straight - getting to well over a 10,000 revs on the straight I knocked it down a gear for the triple apex and as I did there was a loud noise and lots of vibration.

Got back to the pits to find one of the exhaust pipes full of metal and a smashed piston visible in the exhaust port, later also found out that the rotary valve had been hit by the breaking con rod and the piston jammed in the cylinder head area.

£200 a lap ! plus the repair.

Came back the next day with Glenn Broad and took the engine out the next day to get it down to Bob Farnham. Phone call on Tuesday to discuss the damage and how to get to Brands.

Meanwhile bought an RG500 engine as a spare and may end up running Bike 2 with the Bike 1 Cassette Gearbox - Maybe.....

Lots on at the moment - no practice, no bike, no money. Bad start to the season.

Best case is that I have 2 bikes all ready to go at Brands for trackday on thursday, practice Friday and racing. Worst case is no Brands at all. Probably end up somewhere in the middle. Watch this space.

Cheers
Red Wine Racing
Spam Monkey
Spam Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the tale of woe Wal, but, sounds like you are going to have lots of fun when the bike is sorted. Bob Farnham has a great reputation, hopefully the rebuild will go superbly and its the last of your troubles.

Looking forward to catching up.

Are you still going to Brands even if you don't get out to race?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a blog. Cracking trip and i certainly found some extra speed. Still don't have a new engine but was going like stink on a set of slicks anyway so looking forward to first round. Its all a bit of an unknown quantity with so many different bikes and new riders but I shouldn't be too far off the pace of the front runners even on a standard bike.

David

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice blog Dave, cheers for the write up. Shame I couldn't be there. Choice of Caribean in January with hot sunshine was just too good to turn down.

Looking forward to seeing you in action in a couple of weeks.

wal_aka_kev
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short update for those interested.

It appears the failure was in the big end, bits of which caused the piston to seize and the con rod to break, striking the rotary valve and taking out some internal webs and the cylinder itself. For some reason there was no cylinder head gasket fitted but it's not clear whether this was part of the problem or not.

Bob is currently trying to source the bits but we may end up buying a new crank, wisdom suggests we should also replace the second one. The aim is to bore one of my spare cylinders to the same size as the other 3 rather than reverting to zero tune.

Time is against us as my spare standard engine will not arrive till the middle of next week.

There is a real risk I will not make Brands but I can't withdraw my entry just in case we do manage it.

May get there, may not.

Cheers
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fingers crossed for you Wal, will be good to see you and the beast in action. Do I take it from what has been noted so far that perhaps the previous rebuild was not completed correctly? You surely must have been gutted, especially when you have heard how everyone was going.

wal_aka_kev
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to be neutral about it but Bob Farnham is being quite robust in his criticism.

Yes - I surely missed a good session at Ledenon.
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wal, I used to own a Bob Farnham tuned SXR600 and it was the mutts. I have heard nothing but good reports about his work and I have also been informed that he doesn't touch any old engine, he picks and chooses. So if he is dealing with yours, its obviously quite a decent lump.

I have an offer for you though, you can use my SV if you can get it out of the Jordan's. Its all done bar new exhaust apparently. I can fetch the bodywork and get it on for you, offers there if you want/need to take it up.

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Offer Reply with quote

Chuffster - that's a fantastic offer and a credit to you.

Wal - c'mon, we all want you out there even if its not on your beast of choice.

David.

www.thunderbikeuk.com
wal_aka_kev
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Chuffster - a fine bike and a fine offer. Glenn also offered me his bike. Lets take it day by day because the news this morning is that Bob will have all the kit by Friday probably and is working to give me the fully sorted engine by Tue/Wed next week - in time to refit it and get to Brands. My spare 500 engine should be with me wednesday.

Cheers
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers and toes crossed for you, the offer still stands though. I shall phone Steve and see if the exhaust turned up, if not, it could still be run with the old one.

Jon
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave, good to hear testing has gone so well for you. Keep focused!

And Wal, ahhhhh nightmare!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: