www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 30th 2006 - Croix report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: May 30th 2006 - Croix report Reply with quote

Race Report From Croix

The race weekend started on Thursday with a quick shop for essentials. This had to be done because Thursday was a public holiday in France. Took off from home to pick the caravan up and off to the ferry. Chief Wobbler drove down, think she is getting a tad more used to driving with the caravan on the back now.

Well over to France we went where we disembarked and headed off down the motorway following the given directions. Filled up all the petrol cans and van at the services where we met a few fellow racers from other classes. Quick chat and away we went again. Fortunately we had a space reserved in the inner paddock with a couple of race friends that got there earlier than us.

So we finally arrived and set up camp. I then completed an oil change on the bike and checked it over ready for Friday’s test day.

Well Friday came and it was very wet. No option but to install the wet wheels for testing. Off I went on the first session, finding my way around and having a look at the circuit. Grip level seemed quite good bar turn three, a sharp right hander that had a lake on the inside, a lake that got bigger and bigger and really unsettled the bike going round the corner. Other than that, not too many issues, a few surface changes where new parts have been put into the track and a small lump of tarmac missing on a left hander.

I got pulled on the way in, apparently a marshall was complaining about my wagging tail unit, its always wagged so I don’t see it as an issue, especially as its already passed scruitineering four times.

Off I went for session two, still wet. At least I knew where I was going now. Another session passed, no dramas. A few people were already coming off the circuit. Fortunately, they all seemed to be coming off at relatively low speed and all seemed fine. This was happening in all classes, not just the mini twins.

I successfully completed session three but had more moans about the tail unit. Nothing for it now but to try and brace it. A few people offered to lend me some bits to help out. I had a flat steel rod with me and with some cunning and ingenuity managed to bend into shape and drill. The tail got mounted up, it still wags but now nowhere near as much. I missed the last test session before lunch, by now it was pouring again so I didn’t really mind. It was still raining after lunch so I didn’t bother with that one either.

I completed the last two of the day, no major dramas, the wind had really picked up and as you go round a right under a bridge, cranked over nicely the wind became a massive factor. The bike was getting blown all over the place. Reasonably happy that I had a line for racing. Off to scruitineering I went and got the bike and kit passed ready for Saturday’s racing.

By now, some people in the paddock had been blown away! The wind really was playing havoc and I spent a while battoning down the hatches so to speak. Chief Wobbler went off with Smokin Haydock to a local supermarket to get a few supplies in. We had a light meal and turned in quite early for bed. The weather was not at all conjusive with wandering around finding all my racer friends.

Saturday morning was much the same as Friday, nice and wet but at least the wind had calmed. Went out and completed wet practice, no great worries there. First race came round, still wet so off we went. I was on the grid in eleventh place, ideal for the inside line into the first corner that is a hairpin. I thought that if there was one place to be, it was down the inside. Well I got a pretty good start and stayed out of trouble. Couldn’t get any drive round turn one because of being on the inside but at least I had got round it safely. The race unfolded. People were crashing out. No idea where I had finished I crossed the line, quite glad to still be upright. Result was a 9th place. Lap time in the low 1’07’s was not great but at least I had finished unlike a few others (eh Smokin……..). Unfortunately my friend and fellow racer Smokin Dave haydock binned his bike on the very last lap at turn three. The bike was actually not too bad and thanks to Duncan and Jon he was soon fixed up and ready to rumble again. My other friend and fellow racer Wal-aka-Kev had gone off at the first corner but had managed to get going again and finished 14th, scraping a couple of points in the process.

The second race had turned dry, well nearly. There was the odd damp patch but nothing much to write home about. Brand new unscrubbed tyres could be a major factor in this one but I would give it best shot. I was now position 9 on the grid, a reasonable start, got across to the inside ok but again, no drive round the corner and I watched as a few went past. No matter, turn one safely navigated again. The race unfolded, no real dramas in this one, the back end twitched a few times going round the bumpy turn three. Lap time was down to a low 1’01. Finished the race, 10th this time.

We packed the bike up for the day, the weather was still not great. Off to the sidecars, they were doing taxi rides for £15. I have been dead keen to have a go at this, it looks good fun. I was out in the first group on a formula 2 outfit, 600cc of highly tuned machine. I thought the driver was going to take it easy but he knew that I was a racer and had already put me through how I was supposed to move, he took off at what seemed ballistic speed. We were overtaking everyone and having a right good blast. I was doing my best at hanging off left and right, I seemed to be doing ok. We only did three laps but what an amazing buzz. So good that I managed to blag another go in the fourth run. This time on a formula one outfit. 1000cc of tuned engine throbbing away. I enjoyed it but it was not as much fun as the raw formula 2 whch had been spinning up the rear wheel and I am sure going round one of the lefts on only two wheels despite my efforts at hanging off the side like an outrigger.

After all the excitement we got changed and went off to Wals for a BBQ, we had to have it in the awning due to the terrible weather. The rain fell down again, really hard, a right dampener on events. Some alcohol was consumed but not much by myself, not really in the mood for a good few beers.

Sunday I awoke to very damp conditions, the sun was trying to break out though, there was no rain and the wind had subsided. The debate starts, wet or dry tyres? Well being warm up group six I decided that it may dry and stuck with the dry tyres. Wise choice, four laps on a virtually dry track.

Race one of the day, 10th on the grid, cracking start and into the first corner fifth, woooohay. I had decided to stick to the outside this time and try and get the drive out of the corner. Well that didn’t last long as someone came underneath me and pushed me onto the outside kerb. No option but to back off, the bike left the ground but I was still upright, all I could do is watch the bikes I had passed off the start piling through again. Swearing and cursing to myself I continued with the race. I landed up getting stuck behind someone who must have had mirrors, everytime I went to pull a move they suddenly came across my line and completely baulked me. This caused another two bikes to go past, I really wasn’t happy now at all. I never managed to get past the guy, I would have gone for it on the last corner but a back marker came into play and so I went across the line right on the guys wheel. Turns out I was ninth, if only I had not got pushed on the kerb and not had that dude baulk me up the result may have been a lot better.

Second race of Sunday, 9th on the grid again. Decided to go for the outside yet again, lets hope it works this time. Well I got another great start, had made up a few places but this time I just couldn’t get into the swing of the race. A few passed me and I finished 10th. I just couldn’t get my head into pushing hard in the last race whatsoever so I can’t really complain at the result..

4 top 10 finishes in the races at the weekend. I seem to have worked out how to get away well now. All I have to do is sort out going a bit more manic and fighting for positions instead of being on the gentle side.

On Sunday, we had to vacate the inner paddock and move to an outer one or go on our way. We decided to make tracks and put up in a nice hotel with great shower and huge comfy bed at Calais. A nights sleep and off to the hyper market in the morning. A quick shop where we managed to spend in excess of £300 in half an hour – not bad. Now the run up to Dunkirk, what a hole that place is. We queued for ages to get through the booking and passport section. Then we queued for ages to get through English immigration, they wanted to check the van and caravan, ha ha, very funny. The van was packed to the gunwhales and if the side door had been opened we would have had everything falling out, I let the immigration dude peer into a very packed and very dark back of the van. No issues there. Off to check the caravan. In the shower area, under the seats, in the cupboards he went. More delay but eventually we made the ferry where we joined up for a nice social crossing with the Smokin Haydock family. Little Emily was as cherub like as she had been all weekend, such a shame that all kids are not like her. A girl and three years old, she seemed to have a whale of a time in France and loved the racing.

On arrival at Dover it was staright up the A2, drop the caravan off after unpacking it and putting a lot off stuff from the van on board. Then back home to complete the chores of washing, tidying up etc.

Many thanks to Wal, Dave and Jon for their company at the weekend. Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words. Big thanks to the ladies of the racers, they make life so much easier for us boys out there. Special thanks to Chief Wobbler for putting up with my tantrums etc. Looking forward to the next outing at Snetterton in a couple of weeks time. Praying for some decent weather……….

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: