www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baloo
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Next Upgrade Reply with quote

Question for the fast boys.

Having sorted the suspension, end can, brake lines and master cylinder, what is the next street legal major upgrade to go for to give the best track benefits?

Slipper clutch? brake calipers (prolly AP Racing)?

I know I need to do the airbox, but that is an easy fix, anything else before the above? I also have a power commander but will only use that on the track with the end baffle removed.

Until I sort out the garage issue, I wil still use this bike for day riding as well as tracking. I also want to be aware of insurance issues and so performance enhancing by engine tuning etc are currently to be avoided.

The above I can explain as safety benefits (stops the wheel locking up when gearing down, stop better due to my weight etc).

Oh and I am also spending money on CSS training to level 3 this year to get some more confidence for going faster.
CaptMoto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Commander III usb, and stage 2 K&N filter, in my humble opinion, after which you have the bike dyno'ed by a qualifyied dyno centre and get a map sorted to suit your bike to the best parameters. a little pricey but is the best thing short of reboring it, and go totally baloo-istic on it Wink

not sure if your bike is fuel injected or carbed if it is carbed then get a dynojet kit specifically designed for it and the K&N filter.

race sprocket and chain from Renthal are also a good mod though they don't last as long as the original ones.

As far as track confidence and "bottle" are concerned those are not available for sale u either got bottle or you don't and no matter what mods you do, if you are not one for pushing yourself beyond what you think are safety limits all of the above is pointless. (by the way i am not saying that u don't have the minerals, i was talking in general Smile )

I remember last summer when you guys were doing your track day at Brands there was a middle aged man on track with a 250cc Aprilia racing replica, a 2 stroker!! who kept going on the inside of larger sportbikes with a lesser bike but he had bags of confidence and kept surprising many people on the first corner just after the finish straight, which proves the fact that you can go round Brands faster on a less powerful machine as long as you got what it takes, and that is BIG COJONES hehehe Laughing Laughing
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baloo, if you have the money and want to upgrade the best people for you to talk to are Crescent Suzuki.

Speak to Jay on the LB forum, he and a few on there have masses of contacts for upgrades to your mean machine. Again, Steve Jordan will be able to offer invaluable advice when it comes to the Suzuki. As already pointed out by the Captain, you can get a map done for your bike. If you go to the right place it will cost you money but you will get an individual map as opposed to one off the shelf. An individual map caters for your requirements alone really. Jay had all the work done on his and apparently it made a huge difference.

One of the pest performance enhancements you can make for the track is to change the gearing. Go down a tooth on the front and then up one on the back. Ok, you will lose top end but gain bundles in acceleration. There is no point having the bike able to do 180 if the track you are on will only cater for 150.

You will virtually always find that a small bike will outcorner you, especially when its running super fuel and on slicks. The SV corners well but it can not outcorner one of those 250 strokers in the right hands, as for a 125, forget it, you can lay them on their sides. My 650 will grind out before you can lay it right over.

Hopefully I shall be able to get on track with you a couple of times this year, with a bit of cunning ingenuity we may land up in the same group and I may be able to advise on riding style. I suggest next time you do a track day you ask for help and guidance from an instructor, it costs nothing extra, you have already paid for their services in the price of the track day.

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Baloo
Spam Apprentice
Spam Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I already have the mapping and the PCM, it was done for me by V60 (who sadly have now shut down their dyno and shop).

I need to change the chain and so sprocket etc makes sense.

At the end of the day it is my ability that is slowing me down, but I want to go as far as I can with the bike and have no excuses! The ability (i.e. my head) will be sorted out by the Cali Superbike school this year I hope.
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are enjoying it, don't go beating yourself up about it. Cali Superbike school has very good reviews from many people, most people seem to think Rockingham is the best track to learn on with them.

If you are ever after parts and stuff for the bike let me know, racers are always selling bits.

I also here that Suzuki have their own school as well, may be worth thinking about as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend another penny on the bike....seriously. Spend it all on decent sticky rubber and track time. If it's your head that needs sorting then bling bling bits ain't going to help, in fact they could make it worse. Imagine spending hundreds and then going no quicker...that'll certainly do your head in.

CSS have a good reputation but you could also hire a personal instructor for a trackday. Expensive, but then so are all the bits you are buying/thinking about.

To go really fast, get your race licence and watch your lap times fall as quickly as your bank balance!!

DavidH

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Red Wine Racing
Spam Monkey
Spam Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dave say's is true save your money or better still give it to me so i can buy a new helmet and gloves (as mine were stolen today)
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the? Where from? Not work surely.

Red Wine Racing
Spam Monkey
Spam Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep see post in trackdays
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Have you got the bike safely secured or are you going back with the van to get it?

What size head and hands?

Red Wine Racing
Spam Monkey
Spam Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike is safe and secure at home thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: