www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ohlins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Mini Twins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Ohlins Reply with quote

Chuffster,

went to fit my rear shock yesterday after its refresh at Steve Jordans. Trouble is even when torqued up there is 2 to 3 mm of sideways play on the bottom mount. Its like the shock fork is the wrong size (i.e. too wide). Its Sarah Jordans 30th today so Steve isn't in work to talk to. Bugger....

did you book the 21st at Brands? Me and Wal are booked in.

DavidH

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you were only having the shock rebuilt? If so it should go straight back in unless he has changed the connector. You could bodge it with some washers as spacers but as there is plenty of time I suggest you consult with the man himself.

I have not booked the 21st yet - whos running the day then?

Also, do you have any idea of gear ratios at the different tracks?

And I am peeeeeed that it looks like I shall not be doing Cadwell, grrrrrr.

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i shall speak to steve himself. Looks like the fork is brand new. Either that or he meticuluosly cleaned it so slightly suspicious its the wrong one!

Gearing is an interesting subject. My bike came with 15/46. I have run 14/46 at the tighter tracks (BH Indy, Croix) and I'm investing in a 44 and 45 to give me some more flexibility. TiM has written a good email on the subject and put together gearing chart. Let me have your email address and I'll send them to you. Ultimately its personal preference because we will all have different speeds at differenet points on the circuit and hence need different gearing. suggest you get the spockets and have a play in practice.

I've booked with Focused Events.

We might still do Cadwell, or even have a go at MRO. Alternatively Nort Glocs will almost certainly go. i can dip in and out of Bemsee but you will be fighting for the Rookie championship!

davidH

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he has changed it then, take it he didn't say anything or put it on the receipt?

I have been running 14/46 all the time as thats what the bike came with. Even on Silverstone GP where I took on Martin who had much better gearing. I was banging off the rev limiter in top a few times on that circuit. BH Gp circuit, was banging on the rev limiter again and sometimes hit it on the Indy down the start finish. I invested in some sprockets and was going to change them but they are not the correct size so I am going to have to send them back and try again.

I shall check out the track day. Busy trying to persuade Martin to come out but its proving difficult.

With having what would appear 2 months off in mid season I may well go do a track day at Cadwell, possibly enter a race there if it fits in and all is going ok.

Have received my starter pack, looks like i have lots to do! Snetterton on 25th Feb for training day.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised you were hitting the rev limiter with a 14 on the front. You'd have been close on the GP circuit with a 15!

You are quite welcome to Snetterton in Feb. It's a useful day in terms of understanding how Bemsee operate, doing a start and going through scrutineering. Actually I never got to do the start 'cos I'd binned it by then! I sincerely hope you have better weather. Wrap up warm. You got accommodation sorted? Don't forget your de-ionised water 'cos you don't really want to risk leaving the bike in the freezing cold without antifreeze, so drain it at end of day and re-fill in the morning.

DavidH

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its either Mallory a week before or Snetterton. Not a big fan of either track but as I shall be away just before the Mallory day it makes it more prudent to do Snetterton which I have not ridden for five years.

As for accomodation - I am aiming to go there and back in the day. Will look into it, I may take the caravan to have a dummy run at setting my race paddock area up!

Cheers for the info with the water though.

Lets hope I dont bin it before the practice start. I had an attemp at Brands when i came back into the pit and was airborne through first and 2nd. All perfectly under control (not).

My e-mail for that info is richard.cobbett@msn.com

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think Snett and back in a day will be painful but up to you. It's an early start as it is. Aren't they combining it with a test day?

I'll email you the gearing stuff.

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be correct about it being painful to get there and back in a day. I am made of strong stuff and it should be attainable but I may well give myself a practice run of setting up camp, it will tell me what I don't have that I should take in the future. Do you need a generator there or do they have power hookups?

I shall check out the gear ratio stuff. I hear that Lydden is the only circuit that I should need a 47 tooth for! Its like a mini roundabout.

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pre-book garages at Snett but that is the only source of power so suggest you take a Gennie.

I liked Lydden despite it not being the safest, ending up in the Med Centre, and witnessing a young lad losing his life. But then there is nothing logical about being a racer. Shocked

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the heads up with ref power. Don't suppose I can book a garage for the test day but will see what they say. I shall make sure my genny is up and running for the occasion. Best try and get a front wheel from somewhere then I can get wets sorted. You never know, I may need ice tyres yet!

Lydden was a bit of an eye opener for me, it was not good seeing what happened but as you say, there is nothing logical about being a racer. Obviously we lost the guy from Carbon tech (name escapes me), over in France. Guss Scott left us. That young kid went at cadwell. The list seems to go on and on but it will not deter me. I witnessed lots of accidents during the season and virtually all got up and walked away. I hope that noone crashes next season but if they do, I hope that they esacpe uninjured.

Not looking forward to Lydden, its not my kind of circuit and I have never run there. I have to do it, so that I shall. I may not enjoy it but I don't think you can enjoy every track. Shame we are not at Donnington, thats my favourite.

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I hated Lydden, Pembrey, and Croix on my first session. Ended up loving them all. In fact Snett is my least favourite (flat, too far away, and poor facilities), followed by Brands Indy (although I'm pretty much used to it now). Cadwell and Brands GP are worth chewing most of your limbs off for.

As for crashing....you will so make sure your gear is up to scratch. Fingers crossed you will carry no more than a few aches a pains in to the closed season.

I would definitely get wets sorted or even borrow some wheels. What model is your bike?

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall be reserving judgement until I have visited and ridden. I have been to pembrey once and really enjoyed. Was running flat minutes on my ZX7 and that was before it was developed to what it is now. So I am looking forward to that one. Have ridden Cadwell and really enjoyed it. Got to admit, BH GP was great, this year was the first time I had ridden it. Rode the Indy a few times this year, first time out there since my first ever track day on a Ducati. Its a bit of a roundabout but I still enjoyed it.

My SV is a K4, I have a rear wheel but still need a front. Martin has said I can borrow his spares, thats fine as long as he is not racing. So if you know anyone with a K3 or K4 front wheel for sale, doesn't have to have tyre or disks, I would be most interested for the correct price.

As for gear, I have Arai top of the range. MJK leathers, a bit scraped but otherwise in good order. Alpinestar gp pro boots. Cant remember the gloves but they are the same make as Sarah Jordan wears. Knox full spinal back protector. Hopefully that little lot should see me through. If you think of anything else please let me know.

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you've tried ebay for a front wheel?

Kit sounds good. I have Sidi Vertgo boots, Alpinestar GP Pro Gloves, Arlen Ness leathers and a knoxx race back protector and AGV Flyer helmet. Considering a chest protector. ...can't seem to find tins of 'god luck' anywhere Very Happy

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Red Wine Racing
Spam Monkey
Spam Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre welcome to use my wets for snetterton in feb
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Martin. Hopefully between now and then I can obtain the front wheel and get them shod with wets.

There was some dude on one of the forums today going on about getting new slicks for the training day. Lets hope for his sake it is dry!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Mini Twins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: