www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brands Hatch 21.01.06
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. Jacqui really enjoyed Friday night, good company, good food. Look forward to many more communal meals over the season.

The traffic was quite good fun, and good practice for overtaking. Particularly satisfying to have R1s etc. blast past down the straight and then whilst they are hard on the brakes, fly past them as you are still on the gas waiting for your braking marker...!!!

I still got in to the 56s so good enough for a cold January day on very scrubbed tyres (in fact they are mullered!)

DavidH

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother checking times but I was not hanging around in the afternoon. 56's is about as good as last seasons race times isn't it? It is most satisying sticking it over the silly horsepower litre boys, especially when they find out you are on an SV650 with under 72. The rider of my bike was there and we had a chat, apparently it has not been on the dyno and he thinks it was probably only in the mid 60's as far as horsepower goes. Roll on the dyno next week.

May well run a different gear ratio for racing, was at 14/46 but I may go 14/45. I kept locking up the back changing into 3rd for druids so I reckon with the different cog that it should improve matters. Any ideas?

As for tyres, mine were pretty ragged when I started and they are much worse now. Thanks to Red Wine I had no fairing scraping issues which was a bonus. Trying to get used to the reverse gearbox but it was not as bad as I had envisaged.

Rock on the season, I felt good and the instructor said I was going well. Not sure who the other mini twinners were other than Wal who were in my group but it was good to see a few of us out there. Shame we were not all together but I suppose you can't ask for everything.

Glad Jacqui enjoyed her evening meal, at least with Chief Wobbler being in attendance she will have someone to talk girly stuff with.

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and wal were consistently in the 55s last season. Jon was low 53s Shocked

As for Druids, everyone I know uses 3rd gear and I think 14/46 is pretty common gearing. The change in gearing won't help the wheel locking thing.

I've learnt to use the brakes much harder and change down later and quicker which then doesn't put as much pressure on transmission/engine. Engine braking is inefficient compared to using the front brake and its one of those things (along with coasting) that I'm trying to eliminate. You should be either on the brakes or on the gas! Easy said not so easy to do.

Also worth checking your suspension set up. If the back end is going light under braking then you might not have enough upward travel (which I think is technically known as static sag).

A lot of this technique stuff is about getting rid of road riding style.

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info. I was changing into 3rd just about at tip in point while hard on the brakes at the same time. I don't really want to change down with it tipped over as that would spell a disaster with the back end sliding. Steve has set the suspension up and it was not an issue last year. Perhaps it was because the track was colder and less heat in the tyres or perhaps that the rear was just a little to ragged to adhere properly.

If I do the test day before the first race it will give me a chance to change a few things and see what happens. Will be on fresh rubber, hopefully it shall be dry again. I was just about hitting the rev limiter coming down the start finish straight as well, when I got clearways spot on that was.

Talking of gear ratios, any idea of the recommended set up for the circuits we shall be racing this year?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your gearing is OK for Brands, any lower and you'll get mullered into Paddock. Your approach to Druids sounds the same as mine.

I have only ever used 15/46 or 14/46. The subtleties of one tooth on the back was probably irrelevant for me last year. Having only done 6 track days over 5 years I had much to learn in just getting up to a reasonable pace. I have 44 and 45 rears on order so will do some more experimenting this year.

You need to suss your own gearing when fine tuning because of different speeds and riding styles. We can advise at each track as a starting point.

David

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Dave. I shall pay attention and adjust during testing if it becomes neccessary. Can I ask though, as I am about to do Snetterton on the test day, whats the recomendation for there. Is it 15/45?

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably about right, depends on the drive you get out of Sears. I used 15/46 and never hit the rev limiter, but its defeinitely 15 front.

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Chief Wobbler
Crap Joke Merchant
Crap Joke Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I'll try and email you the pics tonight though it will prob be from Chuff's email a/c as I'm having problems attaching files with mine. Was lovely to see you & Jacqui on Friday. I did like that pub's fruit salad, must go there more often Wink

DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I also enjoyed my salad and mineral water!

See you in March....wrap up warm! ....and I'm delighted not to be going to Snetterton again in February. Laughing

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Red Wine Racing
Spam Monkey
Spam Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good to catch up with a few faces from last year
Thought i would regret going without my bike but had no desire to get out there on the track.
Thanks again for the gloves Dave it was nice not have numb fingers by the time i got to work.
And yeh some great pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: