www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September 19th 2006 - Brands GP Missive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: September 19th 2006 - Brands GP Missive Reply with quote

Brands Hatch GP Circuit Report – September 2006

Where to start on this one?

Perhaps we should go back to Wales where my good friend and racing compatriot Dave ‘Smokin’ Haydock had knocked himself out. With the pretty strong performance that I had put in there, we were dead level in the championship on 201 points apiece. We had a few problems with number 88 from the Dyna Pro class and were looking forward to not meeting him again I can tell you.

The entries and format came through for Brands, uh oh, we were with Dyna Pro’s again! The last thing I wanted was that lot getting in the way of things again. Buoyed by the news that 88 was not running, I headed down to Brands on the Thursday afternoon to take camp. I got there reasonably early, we were not allowed in to the paddock until 18:15, it was now 15:30 and there was a huge queue of people already.

I parked up in that queue and went off to find Wal, another racing compatriot. He was doing a track day on the GP circuit. When I found him, he seemed to be doing ok and was under instruction from ‘MiniTwin’ Tim. He seemed in reasonable spirits. 50 bikes out on the GP circuit of mixed abilities does not help race practice though, you keep getting blocked and I think Wal was getting a bit fed up with not being able to get a clear run.

With the track day over, we were allowed into the paddock. A sea of vans, caravans, trucks etc, all trying to get through one gate at the same time. How there wasn’t an accident I will never know.

I took camp in my chosen position in the paddock, Wal joined me and we saved enough space between us for Dave and Ian to fit into. A nice bit of social between us in the evening and then rest time, ready for our race practice on Friday.

Having only ever ridden the GP circuit once, I needed to learn and learn fast. Overnight rain had left the track nice and wet, so I opted for wet tyres for the first run. Off we went, the first steps being taken to the culmination of my first race season. I was soon up to a reasonable pace, the indy circuit dried out while we were on circuit, the GP section however was still fairly damp. By the end of our run you could see the back section of circuit starting to dry. I had a pretty good run, was confident that I had a reasonable line around the circuit. I had started to get to grips with setting myself braking markers.

I switched to dry tyres, confident that even out the back under the tress would be reasonably dry by the time we went out again. Wal and Dave didn’t seem so convinced though, but they did swap over eventually.

It turned out to be the right call, there was a substantial dry line on the next run, the odd damp patch, just enough to unnerve. I really seemed to be going ok, the major issue I had was Surtees, this is the corner from the Indy circuit onto the GP, uphill and you have to hold the corner speed otherwise you will go backwards. It seemed way tighter than I remembered, you seem to know where it goes but then it tightens up on you, not good. I really spent most of the session concentrating on getting this right.
We had no more rain for the rest of the day, a day which passed without too many hitches. I had a few slides, especially on Clearways as I tried to get the power down. The poor old rear tyre had definitely seen much better days. After six practice sessions I called it a day, confident that I had a good line and my braking points seemed fine. I don’t run a lap timer, just judge how I am doing by feel and watching others on the circuit, I was happy that I was holding my own. I seemed to be running with Dave ok, perhaps slightly faster, but not a lot though. Ian had been chasing Dave in that sixth session, unfortunately he tasted the gravel at clearways and had some bike repair to do.

That was the end of my testing. I took the bike up to get it scruitineered, this time it passed with flying colours. With all kit checked as well, it was time to do some cleaning to the bike while I was getting new rubber installed. Chief Wobbler did her bit as well, she had a go at helping clean. When we got the wheels back from the tyre installation, she even helped out install them back to the bike! So we had a bit of social in the evening, Red Wine Racing had turned up to see the weekends events. A wander around the paddock late Friday night, a chance to catch up with fellow friendly racers from other classes, as well as adversaries, but friends all the same, from my own class.

Saturday morning arrives. Up bright and early. My class is due on track at just gone 09:10 to qualify. My new rubber is sitting proud on the bike, but I had taken the wire brush to the edges. This is a long circuit and in our twelve minutes of qualification we were not going to get many laps in.

Off I ventured when called out, full of treperdation. The usual dryness of the mouth. The bike felt ok, I felt ok. Off for the first lap, a couple of people in front. I despatched them pretty quickly so that I could get a flying lap. Not sure what I had managed to produce but it felt good. The second lap I am sure was faster. I was definitely going ok, as I caught the group who had set off before us. That was not great news as I thought that they would slow me down. I had to bully my way past a few. Our time was soon up, there was nothing more I could do. I had tried my hardest in the circumstances. Turns out, the last lap I had completed was my best, a lap in the 1 minute 43 second barrier.

Back to base, tyres warmers on, bike fuelled, it was time to go and get the results. Wooooohay, I had put the bike on thirteenth. That may not sound that good, but it is in the combined class and I had managed to get fifth in my own. Dave was behind me somewhere, his qualification had not gone as well as mine. Being dead level on points, that was good news for me!

We finally got the call for race one. Nervous doesn’t even come close to how I am feeling, we set off for the collecting area where we have to wait until called to form the practice grid. That was the plan anyway, it just didn’t quite work out. The bike went back to its previous Brands experience, it wouldn’t run. It started and stopped, started and stopped. It did it all the way out to the middle of the circuit. Steve Jordan was out there watching the racing, he realised I had a problem. Top bloke, came straight over and started poking around trying to find the issue. He suspected a loose connection somewhere, not easy to locate with me sitting on the bike and all the fairing in place etc. After a few attempts, the bike got running. I could do nothing now but pray.
We formed up on the grid four our parade/sighting lap, the bike was still running. Practice start from this was ok. All the way round the circuit, checking conditions etc. We make it back and form the race grid proper.

Full of nerves and treperdation, heart pounding, the guy at the front drops the flag. The revs are rising amongst all the bikes on the grid, its now or never. The lights come on, I am trying to hold the bike but it starts moving, the lights go out and we are away. A good start but all I can think is that I am going to get a 10 second penalty for a jump start. It wasn’t that I actually jump started, I was moving fractionally, and I believe that is enough to be penalised. I had made a few places at the start, during the race I went back a couple, not badly though. I never saw Dave, even when I looked over my shoulder. I just kept going as fast as I could, all I could think of was that 10 second penalty. The chequered flag came out, across the line I zoomed (well as fast as you can with 70hp). I had no idea where I had come or my lap time. I slowed down to try and judge where Dave had come in comparison, I had a feeling that this was going to be close.

Back to base camp and my mate Martin, otherwise known as Red Wine Racing, was called upon to go over the bike. I asked everyone to stay out of the way while this was done, there is not a lot of room around the bike. Slappy and Duncan were called upon to get there hands dirty and I was told to ‘Shut Up and stop interfering’. Ok, Ok, just trying to help. I went off to get the result sheet. Good news, I hadn’t bee done for a false start. I had finished 14th overall and sixth in class. Dave was back in 11th in the same class, that was five points to the good for me. I had even got into 1min 42 second territory, faster than my qualifying time.

The bike was getting a good seeing too. All the connectors were being checked as before. This time they were all taped up. The plugs were checked, but found to be fine. We ran the bike up, it seemed ok.

We also changed the gear shift rod. During that race I had a bit of difficulty with a couple of gear changes. The boys sorted it all out for me, its great having people around to help. We put the bike back together, all seemed ok. We hadn’t found anything in particular which was worrying.

I now had to wait for hours, my next race was right near the end of the day. So I wandered off with some of the troops to watch the racing. Wal was out next, he was in the B race. We cheered him on, the man did well. He came home second in class and won a trophy to boot! During the afternoon there were a few spills, some serious. All the races were cut down to six laps from eight. That puts even more pressure on you to get a good start. Fortunately, I seemed to have the start rumbled completely.

So we went out for our second race. For this I was fifth on the grid, it was all just my own class. Another good practice start. There was cement dust down on a few parts of the circuit now, covering up oil spillages. Its not good for the confidence or heart going through it I can tell you. Back to the grid, we formed up and waited for the lights. Off they go and launch control off the line, the front wheel skipping the tarmac, perfect. Round Paddock Hill, no dramas. The race unfolds, in lap four I got overtaken by Ian Gilder. Nice chap and he had already guaranteed himself second in the championship. A tough move by him at Druids saw him go past. Well for once I wasn’t going to take this lightly, I stayed right on him, as we went away from Surtees I got the run and passed him. Every corner I was expecting him to pull a manoeuvre but it didn’t happen until we got to Druids again. He overtook again, with the bit between my teeth, I did exactly the same as the previous lap. This time, something went down on the left side of the bike at Surtees. Not sure what it was I kept going and passed Ian again on the straight. All the way back to the start line, last lap flag was out. Across the line, still infront of him. Yet again he went round at Druids, despite my efforts at blocking the move, the rear was sliding as I went around that corner. Back round Graham Hill bend we went, I was right on his rear wheel. I got good drive out of the corner and was half alongside, thinking do I or don’t I going in to Surtees. I decided not, just get the same run on the straight. Again it worked a dream, straight past I sailed, and then it was a case of riding a defensive line and not making a mistake. Well that’s easier said than done when you are racing. The front complained badly at Westfield, I kept going. Through Dingle Dell, up to the right hander. Perfect line for me, no dramas. Down to the left, I thought this was where he would have a go. It didn’t come, it was going to be all down to the last corner, Clearways. Down the Hill towards clearways for the last time I went. A quick glance over the shoulder revealed he was right on my tail. I took the tight defensive line for clearways, with no choice in it he went for the outside. My rear tyre complained and slid as I put the power on. It came back on line. I hit the rev limiter, it wouldn’t change gear at first, then it did. With Ian trying to get along the outside, I gunned it as hard as I could. This forced me to the left and basically blocked him off. Across the line I went, well Chuffed with fifth place. To beat Ian was unbelieveable, he was so far ahead of me at the end start of the season that I had never imagined getting close to him at all. So that was the proof that I needed that I had made a massive improvement during the season.

With all my supporters from Boxhill at the track, it was good to be putting in a creditable performance. On the cool down lap you actually get a chance to see where they are!

The result sheet was collected, fifth place. I had to work extremely hard for that. I had battled and done all I could. To actually beat Ian Gilder fair and square so to speak, to me, was as good as having won the race. Dave had come home tenth, so another five points gained. That put me 10 clear with just two races to go.

We put the bike away for the night and set off clutching food and beer up to where the support club had taken camp. It took me a fair while to get there, I never seem to be able to walk straight through the paddock. I went and watched the trophy giving for Saturday’s races. Tope performance from Wal, he had collected two second place trophies! That put a big beaming smile on his face I can tell you.

The BBQ went well with the support club. Tusky did a magnificent job cooking for the masses. We all tucked in to burgers, sausages and chicken. Plenty of alcohol was being consumed, but not by me. Chief Wobbler was mashed and making a fool of herself. Plenty of entertainment and laughs were had that evening.

I retired reasonably early from the fray, Duncan gave Chief a firemans lift back part of the way, not that she can remember any of it. Off to bed we went.

Like most race meetings, I struggled to sleep. At 3am I was wandering around the paddock, brain in overdrive. Thoughts of what would unfold later, how I could see the races going etc. I finally went back to the land of nod, but not for long. Back up at about 7, and I went over the bike. Checking bolts, water level, tyre pressures, etc etc. I found out what I had touched down in the second race, that was the Chain Guard. For racing, you have to have what we call a sharks fin, this is mounted below the swing arm. Not only had this touched down, so had the gear change pedal! The bike had been as far over as it was going to go. Happy that the bike was in good order, I wandered off and got my practice pass. Practice is a chance to shake the cobwebs free and have a look at the track. Just three laps, its enough for a look but its not really long enough to get some practice in. The bike seemed to be running fine, no dramas in my three laps.

Time to wait for race 2 on the day. I performed my usual regime of pacing up and down, some stretching to ease the muscles. Mentaly trying to get myself going.

The support crew wished me luck and off I set for the parade lap. We gathered ourselves together and lined up on the grid. Another good practice start and a look around the circuit. No issues with anything that I could see, the bike felt good as well. Starting from thirteenth on the grid again, I got another great start. For some reason I just didn’t seem to be able to get that much right, I was braking too early and not quite on the line I had the previous day. I just kept going as well as I could. Hoping to stay ahead of my fellow class runners behind me. The finish line eventually came, I was relieved.

Back to base I went, to be greeted by my smiling cheering supporters once more. We put the bike on the stands and prepared it for my last race in class for the season. Off to race admin to get the magic result sheet. I came home thirteenth overall, not bad but perhaps this time it could and should have been better. I was fourth in class, that equalled my season’s best finish so far, I couldn’t really complain. Dave had come home ninth, I was now sixteen points clear with one race to go, as far as I was concerned, that meant job done. Dave would have to finish third with me not scoring to tie, second and me not scoring to beat me.

It was a pretty pensive day waiting for that last race to come. I had tidied some of the camp up so that it would mean less to do when I had finished racing. The champagne was in the fridge ready for the homecoming. We all went off and watched Wal in his race, cheering him on throughout. Another great performance, second place and yet another trophy.

The time was approaching for my last run in class for the season. Pacing up and down, up and down, I waited. I just wanted this to be over now. The massive wait between our races had not helped at all. The support crew dispersed around the track to yell me on. The call came to go out and form up. I slowly but surely got myself going, just one more solid performance was required. We formed up for the parade lap, a good practice start and time to look at the track and prepare for the ensuing battle. We formed up on the grid proper, the mouth dry yet again. The tension could be cut with a knife. The man at the front drops the flag, the noise starts to get deafening as everyone sets there revs for the launch. The lights come on, they wait, and then they are off. A good start, but not as good as the two right over on the right. They were coming passed me as I moved, no way was that not a false start. I am entering paddock hill bend, on the outside, the two bikes from my inside collided and were starting to run wide. Right where I am. Panick stations. I had no option but to yank on the brakes to avoid them, I can see the rest of the grid swarming through. I was livid. At least I was upright I suppose, but, I now had a hell of a lot of work to do. I set about this as rapidly as I could. I had no way of knowing where I was but I must have been way back, probably a good fifteenth or worse. I passed a few, a bit of tough overtaking by yours truly, not something I usually do. I was absolutely livid about the start, seething in my helmet. I passed Wal and set about catching up with Dave, I got him at Graham Hill bend, a tough move down the inside on the brakes (sorry Dave), then it was off in pursuit of Giffould. I soon caught him, right behind him going in to Westfield. What the? He yanked on the brake when I wasn’t expecting it. I yanked on the front, somehow I missed him, the rear was up in the air somewhere. Panick over, I cruised past him on the brakes in Clearways. The race unfolded, I couldn’t catch anyone else. Completely unsure of where I was I continued. On the last lap I looked behind as I came down to Clearways, a light blue bike but far enough away not to really worry about. Full control round that last corner, head on the tank to the line. That was it, it was all over. There was nothing else I could have done. A very slow cool down lap to wave my thanks to the crowd and say thanks to the marshals around the circuit.

I got stopped out in the garage area by a few people I knew who wanted to congratulate me, rumour was that I had come home fourth. How I did that, I have no idea.

Back to base camp to be greeted by happy cheering and clapping supporters from Boxhill. Time for a burnout in the paddock, the first time I have ever done such a thing. The bike was then put on its paddock stand and I had a cuddle with Chief. I believe that we were both relieved that it was all over for the weekend, probably her more so than me. The supporters gave me my own trophy, that was touching beyond belief and I had very damp eyes to say the least. I finally got out of the leathers and let fly with the champers, a job well done for the weekend. Confirmed as fourth again, that was my best race weekend of the season. I had put 47 points on the scorecard, beating my previous best of 38.

The Champagne was passed around and still absolutely elated with events I started the horrible task of packing. While all this was going on, Chief took the bike round the paddock a couple of times, Duncan also had a go. A good shake of hands amongst whats turned out to be like a family, Myself, Dave, Wal and Ian. All of us had done well this weekend. Wal got a winners trophy and garland for his last race, awesome stuff and well deserved. I hope that encourages him to keep going next season, paddock life will not be the same without him.

We finally packed and left Brands, Chief drove back to drop the caravan off. Champagne, beer and lager had already flowed down my throat by now. After dropping off the caravan we went off to Slappy’s for a nice roast dinner cooked by Jen and attended by Chief, Duncan and Ketti as well.

Enormous thanks for the weekend goes to everyone really, Chief for putting up with me once more, Red Wine, Slappy and Duncan for all hands to the pump in looking after the bike. Tusky for his cooking. Mrs Tusky, Shaz, Mike, Lost Again, Suzibabe, The Tusky’s daughters and other halves, Slappy’s daughter, Jen, Flipper, Flinstone and Keti who were all in attendance. Everyone else for all their kind words of support.

I would also like to thank Dave Smokin Haydock, Wal aka Kev, Ian and the rest of the clubman mini twinners for such a wonderful years racing. Also thanks has to go to their respective other halves and a special big thanks to Miss Emily for keeping Chief occupied at times!

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: