www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 1st 2006 - Brands hatch Indy Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: August 1st 2006 - Brands hatch Indy Report Reply with quote

Well the weekend is over, it will live long in my memory.

It was the usual start for me, to take camp on the Thursday night ready for testing on the Friday. Wal had already taken camp by the time I arrived, he had plenty of space around so I took up part of it and cunningly used the van and other stuff to save room for the others that were coming along. We all struck camp and headed off for some well needed rest.

Friday morning came, I was up early. Checked the bike over, made sure the nuts were all tight. Tyre pressures adjusted etc. It was much cooler first thing than it had been, to me, that was bliss. We were the first group out on track, taking those first few perhaps tentative steps around the circuit, checking it out before building the pace. As I don’t run a lap timer, I don’t really know practice times. Dave and Wal were in the 54 second bracket. There was not a lot to chose between us, so I presume that’s where I was as well. I had plenty of rear wheel slides in this session, adhesion to the track surface did not seem to be that great.

Between sessions I checked the pressures and made some adjustments. The sun came out, the heat built rapidly, it was going to be a scorcher. We went off for our second session. 2 bikes binned it at Clearways, it looked nasty and we all got held on the track in the by now searing heat. After about 15 minutes we got going again after the injured parties and their bikes had been removed from the circuit. I now just couldn’t get a rhythm and was glad when that session was over. The bike did feel more stable than it had in the first run although I did manage to catch a couple of glimpses of the rear end in my peripheral vision as I cam round clearways, that’s the bike stepping out. Didn’t really cause me drama, just very unsettling. I also ran well wide at paddock hill, over the rumble strip and onto the green between the gravel trap and the rumble strip. Just missed the gravel and managed to hook back onto the circuit. Definitely a brown trouser moment.

In the next session I thought I was going ok, not really though, was in the 55 and 56 second bracket. The bike was still moving around. The front started sliding going into paddock hill. The rear was sliding coming out of druids. Front and back were going at Graham Hill. I had a big front end slide going into Surtees. The back was just breaking free through clearways. Next one before lunch, again apparently running 55 second laps, just couldn’t get back to 54’s. More slides from the bike, it felt like I was at the ragged edge and I certainly wasn’t improving. All morning people had been crashing out of testing, the two main culprit corners were paddock Hill bend and Clearways. It was scorching hot, way too hot for me I am afraid.

Lunch break came, phew, a chance to get out of some very hot and by now, minging clothes. The bike seemed to be going ok. The tyres were like jelly though, track temperature was very high and I just don’t think it was suitable for the tyres, they had seen better days already.

For the first session after lunch, Gareth from Londonbikers timed me. It’s the first time I have used a pit board, cheers dude, that’s another thing I can knock of the list. I actually found it real easy to check the board each lap, probably made easier because it was the only one being used though! Consistent 55 second laps. Fastest was a 55.1, ranging up to the worst one of 56 seconds dead. There was traffic, but, I was not impressed. I knew that I had to be in the 54 second bracket or less to stand any chance of doing well come racing.

By now, it was really, really hot. We went out on our next run. This was curtailed when the number 50 Buell went out at the exit of Druids. Red flag again. Less than impressed I came back in and said enough was enough.

The wheels came out and it was off to Alan Russell to get some nice new tyres installed ready for the racing proper. Well I went round the paddock a few times in the van with the air con going full tilt, what bliss. I collected the wheels back some 40 minutes later and installed them to the bike. On went the leathers and gear, up to scruitineering I went. Disaster, they failed it! The front wheel apparently was not in line with the handlebars, and, the rear brake pipe was too short. All clothing was fine, so back to camp I went, stripped off yet again and set about work on the bike. For the life of me I couldn’t see anything wrong with the front end, I loosened everything off and tightened it all up. I undid the rear brake pipe at one end and moved the angle, not much better, but that’s what the scuits had told me to do. Back I went for it to be checked over.

Well they ooooood and rrrrrrrd over the front end, I finally managed to convince them that all was fine. So that was one thing off the list. To the back brake pipe, still not happy and so I was rejected again. I don’t carry a spare so I needed to source one. On the way back to camp I ran into Paul Whitby and Cherie Christian. Paul had a spare pipe, it was off a carby model SV, so it was nice and long. The carby models have the calliper underneath the swinging arm where as the injected models have it above. Back to camp and time for a swap out. This was rapidly done but bleeding the brake was proving problematical. Fortunately, fellow racer Barry Dunstan had a syringe bleeding kit. So I got all the air out, tightened it all up ready to go back for inspection. I tried the brake, fluid was coming from the rear banjo bolt when you pressed the pedal, the brake certainly didn’t work. Nothing to lose, I cleaned it all up and went back to get it checked, it passed easily (?), they never actually tried the brake, just made sure that the pipe was long enough.

With a huge grin, back to camp and the original pipe was reinstalled and bled up. I never use the rear brake, good thing I got it working this time though, but that is another story.

In the evening I went round the paddock and caught up with some racer friends and then off to slumberland I went. With the adrenalin already pumping through the veins for the weekend ahead, sleep was not the easiest thing to do, I drifted on and off. Saturday morning came, up fairly early and a check over of the bike. My usual routine complete, or so I thought.

So I signed in, 40 minustes to go before warm up, on went the tyre warmers. Slowly but surely I got myself ready. Then it dawned on me, I hadn’t checked the tyre pressures, heck. So with hot tyres I check the pressures, not exactly sure what they are supposed to be, but I set them at what I thought would be ok. Off for ten minutes warm up. The track was heaving, about 60 bikes on the indy circuit all together! Very hard to get in any decent practice. I bedded the tyres, they felt good, picked up the pace and did some overtaking practice. All felt ok, just perhaps a hint of movement from the tyres. Tried some different lines ready for the racing, a bit wrong once as I caned through paddock hill but went out onto the rumble strip. No drama though, the bike coped nicely and I don’t think I even slowed down.

The ten minutes was soon up and I was winging my way back to camp. I reduced the tyre pressures a little bit more. Fuelled up, checked over, it was time to wait for my race, that would be race 3 on the day. So I took all the leathers off and tried to keep cool, certainly not easy, by 10 o clock I was roasting. By now, a few people had turned up to watch and support, I was to have a few visitors this weekend. Some were even camping over. It is really nice to know that there are people who have come to support you in all your efforts.

Race one was called, it was now time to get the kit on and mentally ready, not long to go now. The first race was stopped for an incident somewhere. Eventually it got going again, trying to keep cool was a major issue. Race 2 was called. You could hear them start off round the track from where we were based, you couldn’t see them but you could certainly hear them. Then the tannoy system barked into life again, the delightful voice of Bernie giving first call for clubman minitwins. On went the lid. On went the gloves. Tyre warmers loosened. 2nd call for us, the tension mounts slightly inside your helmet. Your mouth starts to dry. The heart race increases. Third and final call! Off go the tyre warmers, the bike down from the paddock stands fires into life with a roar. I say goodbye to a few supporters and the other half and its off to the collecting area I go. Through the paddock, into the tunnel under the track, all the way out to the collecting area. Position 10, row 3 I am told. So I trundle to the dummy grid in the collecting area and claim my place. Everyone lines up, people going through their mental routines, many of us wishing each other luck. All nice and friendly like.

Finally, the previous race leaves the circuit and we set off to form up the grid. We get a parade lap, great for a practice start, mine went well, I was happy and confident now. I came round clearways really slowly, no point hacking up to the grid and sitting there for ages while everyone catches up. There I am, row three, heart pounding, unbearable tension. I don’t know why, but everything seems to go really quiet for me at this point. I think my brain is so busy that it cuts my ears off. Just settling nicely, getting ready to rev the engine, the guy drops the flag to tell the starter that the grid is ready. There is usually a delay from this to the lights coming on, not this time though. The lights were on and then off in the blink of an eye. Damn it, I wasn’t ready and I got an appalling start, bikes were going past me instead of the other way round.

I fought past a couple on the first corner, then I got another. I got settled into a rhythm after a couple of laps and got on with chasing some in front. With no idea where I was, I caught up with Susie Grayson. The race was getting towards the end, I followed her from a short distance, working out when to make the move. Decision made, last lap it was to be, from the last corner to the finish, I would haul her. So on the last lap, I caught her right up and sat on her back wheel, I nearly went for the pass at paddock hill bend, but the front had been chattering through there all race so decided to still bide my time. I was mentally getting ready for that all important moment when I gun it and go past.

We take the final corner, hard on her wheel, accelerating faster than her, only just, but enough. Back marker ahead, we were going to lap them. Susie looked as though she was going inside, I decided to go out. Unfortunately, Susie changed her mind and went left. I had to adjust, that cost me. I was virtually on the grass right next to her going across the line, but, she had done me. 0.047 of a second separated us. I had enjoyed the race, beating myself up about the start, too late for that now. I came home 8th, I couldn’t really complain. Best lap was 54.079, I was pleased with that, so close to a 53 second lap. Another top ten finish in the bag, better than I had hoped at the start of the season.

Back to base camp, with plenty of congratulations from the support crew. The fact that Susie had beaten me was a bitter pill though, next time, she would be mine, if it hadn’t been for the backmarker, I would have done it that time.

Off with the leathers, bike readied for the next race. Off to watch some friends in other classes for a while. Lunch was called, the racing had been really good, it was just too hot for my liking. I actually ate at lunchtime for a change, a light cheese salad. After lunch, I watched some more racing and then headed back to camp. Started to get ready, the next bodge then came to mind, I hadn’t turned the tyre warmers on! Only about 20 mins before I had to go out, and they really need 40. Thanks to a race stoppage, I got about 30. All I could do was hop that they were ok and try to get heat in on the parade lap.

The call to go finally came. Well wishes passed by the supporters. Off to the collecting area. We had to wait, to stop the bike heating up too much I turned her off and sat patiently waiting. Finally we were sent on our way to the grid, the bike started, then it died. It started again, I started rolling, it died again. What the heck was wrong?I was getting distraught, I didn’t think I was going to make the start. A few times I fired her up, but she soon died. She died twice on the grid before the parade lap. I got her running just before my row was sent on its way. I took off like a bat out of hell, she was running. Round paddock, a dreadful feeling she would conk out on me in my head. She held good, through druids, down to graham Hill bend. Perhaps she was ok. Wrong. She expired yet again as I went round Graham Hill bend. Nearly at a stand still I got her going and continued round to clearways, she was still running. I used the back brake to slow myself down as I was keeping the revs up (good job I had fixed it). Down through the gears, trying to keep her running. Into position 8 I went, she died. I fired her, she died again. Bugger, bugger, bugger. I fired her, got her running, I was reving at 9000 rpm, the start came, she was still running. Praying she would go now. The lights went out, I was nailed and away. A pretty good start, I had made up at leat two places. I was still waiting for her to conk out though. I kept just kept going, everything crossed. She certainly wasn’t happy though, stuttering and spluttering at times. All I could do was do my best and pray that she held out. A couple of people came back past me, I tried to hang with them. Then another passed me, I was not making ground at all. The chap who had just passed me binned it at Paddock right infront of me, a place made up. Still no sign of Susie, she must be there somewhere. I kept my head down and kept going. I crossed the finish line, eighth place again. Not at all happy with the bike, I can’t actually believe that I got that result, let alone finished the race. I was a clear eighth as well, I had beaten Susie, by 5.411 seconds as well, that at least put a smile on my face. My fastest lap was better than the first race but it was marginal, a 54.045.

Back to camp to meet the supporters. Explained to them what had happened. I was under the feeling that the bike overheat sensor was tripping in. There is no fan on my SV, it was very hot out there, I couldn’t see any other explanation. I found Gary Smith of SDC and asked his opinion, ‘it could well be the heat sensor. Try taking the thermostat out, it makes quite a difference.’

Back to camp and we found the thermostat housing. What a stupid place to put it, on top of the engine. We removed the seat unit, lifted the tank up, had a peer in to see what else we needed to do to get at it. We were going to have to remove at least the rear injector system. We needed some form of gasket for the thermostat housing when we put it back together, we didn’t have one. The forecast for Sunday was for rain and cooler weather. I thought that if I used the electric fan after the bike had been run I could cool it enough. So it all went back together and we started on the BBQ for the supporters. A pleasant evening was had with the people there from the Boxhill forum.

Eventually bed time came. Slumber time. I heard noises in the early hours of the morning, awning zips were going. Fully alert I got up to see what was going on. Rumours of bike tampering have been rife this season and I wasn’t taking the chance. It wasn’t my awning, so I went out into the paddock. The awning next door was the one in question, it had a sidecar outfit in it. There were two people just walking away. They obviously heard me, one turned round and came back. It was the driver of the outfit, just explaining that he hadn’t plugged it in to charge the battery and sorry for disturbing me. Well better to be safe than sorry I thought. So I went to the loo and back to bed. Tossed and turned. Then it rained, just as forecast! I finally drifted off again. When I woke in the morning, the ground was only just damp. The rain had cleared off. Big black clouds abounded in the sky. Perhaps we were going to need the wet tyres?

There is no warm up until 10am on a Sunday at Brands, the residents have got some sort of covenant against the circuit over noise. You only get three laps warm up usually, just to check the bike is working really, and a quick check of the circuit conditions. Well I got four laps in. The bike was running fine. Must be the heat then, I am convinced. So back to camp, the fan was put on to cool the engine.

Not long really, it was my turn to race. We were called, I went on the second one, we were based a long way from the collecting area. I got to the middle of the circuit to see ambulances etc at Clearways for an incident in the previous race. We were going to be sat for a while so I killed the engine and sat patiently waiting. The previous race was restarted and finally finished. Our turn to get out on the circuit. I turned the key, the temperature guage said 60 degrees. Cool, not too hot. Well, it was the same drama as Saturday afternoon. She just wouldn’t run. You could get a second of life, enough to get rolling, but that was it. I got off on the warm up lap, she ran all the way round, that was until I got to the grid where she stalled again, and again, and again. She was running for the start, desperately nervous I just prayed that she would go. Lots of bikes behind me, I didn’t want to get piled into.

We were off, another cracking start from me and she was running, well sort of. Somehow I was in fifth place, this was going well, well for me anyway. I was running with the front boys and they were not dropping me either. After a few laps the bike started to play up, just couldn’t seem to get any power (not that she has a lot anyway). I dropped back to 6th. Another 3 laps went past and I was down to 7th. I was hanging onto the back of this guy, he had woken me up, or so I thought. Susie got past on the last lap, I really did try but again, couldn’t do it, the bike just wouldn’t go properly. Susie just beat the other guy on the line as well. 0.218 behind her this time. I may have managed higher if the bike had behaved. I was gutted. Best lap was a 54.094.

Back to base camp, 7th place was at least a small step in the right direction. Back to base camp for a welcome home and congratulations from the supporters. Discussion times with a couple of them. I told them what was happening, we conflabbed and decided that it’s electrical. So we stripped the bodywork off. We had every connector block apart that we could find and cleaned them all out. We cleaned all the fuses. We changed the spark plugs. We fired her up. Dave says that it sounds great. I am not convinced. Whoops, its only running on one cylinder, the rear HT lead had not been connected. It was put on, that sounded much better when we fired her up. Bodywork put back on, I went for a spin round the paddock. She felt better already. That was it then, a dodgy connection or something, sorted. The bike was readied for the next race. Time to chill out for me. The racing commenced after the lunch break. My turn would soon come. I was ready, my mind was set. I was going hard now that the bike was sorted, right from the start. I was going to go forwards. The call came to go. Off I went. Through the paddock, and the bike died after a hundred yards. Nooooo, this could not be happening. All the way through the paddock, she fired and died, fired and died. I got to the collecting area, keeping her revved up. She was running, she had lasted a few minutes. Her temperature was rising, but she was running. Off to the grid for the parade lap, and still running. Practice start, not a bad one again. Round I went, no issues, maybe whatever it was had cleared. I slowed coming out of clearways, keeping the revs up and using the back brake to slow down. I took up my seventh place on the grid, the revs were up, she died. She fired and she died. Oh hell. Fired again and she was running. Keeping her revved right up I was praying yet again. The start came, the lights went out and I nailed her away. Into the first corner. I had made up a place and was round, safe and sound. Up to Druids, running with the front boys. They were not getting away. I made a pass on the second lap, fifth place now! Another pass on the next lap saw me go fourth and I was right with 2nd and 3rd. I followed the battle, and it was a battle as well. The red bike ahead went into Paddock Hill on its front wheel only, how he made it round I don’t know. On the next lap, going into Paddock there was a collision between the two, they amazingly both kept going. I backed off a bit, I dropped back a few yards, I didn’t want to get taken out if they had a spillage. The race continued, they were not dropping me. The bike was behaving on the track. The last lap flag comes out, I am still fourth. I have a vision in my head of a queue of bikes behind. Fourth is the best I have ever been this season, I really want that place. I went round paddock for the last time, safely done. Up to druids, bang on my line, braking beautifully, round I go, no dramas. I crack on the power and change up down the hill, again, perfect line for me. On the brakes, into Graham Hill bend, through and on the power. I now look over my shoulder, there is no one there, I can’t believe it. I just make sure that I do everything right now and cross the line in fourth. I set my fastest lap of the weekend in this race, a 53.752. Fourth place was good, getting into the 53 second lap was brilliant. I did the slow down lap, and I did it slow. Really taking in the atmosphere. Emotions were running high in my lid, I wanted to savour this moment. Waving at the cheering crowds and waving my appreciation to the marshals as I slowly went round the circuit for the last time. Shaking hands with fellow riders as they came past. To me, it was a victory. Never in my wildest dreams before the start of the season did I think I would ever get that result. When I finally exited the circuit at Surtees, I came down through the garage area, well I tried. I had people running out and congratulating me, stopping me for a chat, showing their appreciation for my track performance.

To a mere mortal like me, this makes a world of difference. Fellow racers and their respective families and friends all showing their appreciation and respect for my achievements. I finally got away, through the tunnel and back to the paddock. More people waving me home, absolutely awesome. I came round the home turn to base camp and was greeted by a see of happy cheering people. The Boxhill forum peeps had done me proud with their support, its something I am never going to forget. So I finally made it back, lots of people in the paddock looking on at that most excellent welcoming home.

I got rid of the leathers and donned the shorts. Time for a celebratory cigar and beer. Off to the office I went to get the result sheet. I had been informed that I had won a trophy on Saturday, so I thought that I would check while there. I didn’t just win one, I won three. Top rookie in three races! Back to base camp I went, clutching my three trophies tight and still trying to down my beer. I still had people coming out of their awnings and tents etc congratulating me. I finally wandered back to base camp with my three bits of bling, and a grin wider than the Dartford tunnel. So after a few photo sessions for the supporters it was time to thank them all for coming and get on with packing.

So that was that, time to try and get off the high and pack for going home. I made a start to it all. Then I went off to watch a few friends race in the last couple of races of the day. I was shouting and screaming at them, reckon most people think I was mad. Its just a way of getting some of the emotion out of the system, perhaps they can see me jumping up and down encouraging them along, I don’t know and I don’t really care. They may not be able to hear me, but I feel better for getting all excited for them, they all deserve a good cheer, they are all out there trying their best, just as I do.

When I was finally ready to leave, I said goodbye to a few people who were left before leaving Brands Hatch for the time being. We returned the caravan to its resting quarters and went out for a bite to eat, it had struck me then that I had eaten nothing all day long.

The bike has already been booked into the wonderful Steve Jordan for diagnostics etc. I really need it to be running and properly for the last two rounds of my championship. Lets hope that its something really straight forward. I have spoken to a few people and it appears that there are countless electronic sensors in an SV. When the bike is crashed, they quite often need resetting. Well as mine has been crashed a few times now, as well as a few times of being upside down, it may well just be that. The rear brake hose is going to be changed for a braided item of the correct length, that way I wont have problems at scruitineering again. I will also ask Steve to check the steering geometry, possible removal of the thermostat as well as a few other minor issues.

A huge thanks to Justine for going through it all yet again, and coming out the other side. I know its not easy for you girl, the support is very much appreciated.

Big thanks to everyone who came to watch and support me, it does make a huge difference.

Further thanks to Dave and Jaquie, Wal and Pam, Ian and Sarah, John and Kim for putting up with me next to them this weekend.

Huge thanks to the marshals at the track for keeping everything running and as smoothly as possible.

Thanks to Bemsee for such a splendid weekend, yet again.

Good luck to Barry, rotten luck blowing your engine, hope you get it all sorted and soon.

According to my calculations I am now lying 8th in the championship and have consolidated 2nd in the rookie championship.

My next round is at Pembrey on August Bank Holiday weekend. Hopefully I can keep the results coming. The Mojo is high at the moment, long may that last.

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: