www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Croix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Smokin Haydock Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Croix Reply with quote

Well it was certainly an up and down weekend and quite different to the trip to France last year.

It started well with a good run down to Dover and getting on an earlier ferry. Quick trip down to Croix (the same diversion was in place as per last year..vive La France Laughing ) to find a a queue of vehicles outside the paddock. All sorted quickly with Dave Stewart's usual efficiency and we got pitched up in prime position in Paddock #1. Even managed to reserve a spot for Chuffster. Sadly i got a message from Ian Soilleux that he and his concubine, Juanita, wouldn't make it due to his headache (Juanita is such a nag....or maybe its because he has been knocked out in both of his last 2 outings Confused )

Up for practice Friday morning and it was raining and had been most of the night. After all the wet riding in pre-season testing I didn't mind the rain but it was also blowing a gale....not much fun tipping a bike into a corner when the wind tries to lift you off the bike Shocked

To be honest I don't remember much about testing. I missed the last session before lunch 'cos it was so windy I thought what's the point...fell asleep at lunchtime, rode like i was asleep after lunch, but finished with a real fast session including my first knee down in the wet.

It was still wet for the first race Saturday a.m. Started 3rd on the grid and had a reasonable start. Lost a couple of spots and rode most of the race in 5th. Went past the last lap flag and was pretty confident I could do beter. I've learnt that you can brake nearly as damn hard in the wet as the dry and in doing so you can stuff it up the inside of the rider in front. I moved up to 4th in turn 1 and then up to third in turn 2. Went into turn 3 knowing I had to commit hard to get a clear break on the guy I'd just past. Now I have to say me and the Chuffster had talked about turn 3 before the race. Take it easy we said....lots a crashes in practice we said.........strange thing racing....its just not that logical.....so I gave it handful on the exit and highsided Embarassed As I got to my feet I looked in horror at my bike spinning on the racing line. Top work by the marshalls as usual to clear the bike before it was 'cleared' by following riders. Another marshall came over to check I was OK and having established I was then told me to go and join the others....my mates Charles and Anthony had already fallen victim to turn three! I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to throw away a podium. I know there were lots of people jumping up and down as I made it up to third....fret not, I will deliver silverware this year....and if I could take anything from the race it was a cracking lap time and showing the determination and commitment to push hard....if a little too hard Very Happy

Bike wasn't too bad. Screen in about 12 places and a big dent in the tank. Busted footpeg and clutch lever plus a few other scrapes and scratches. Got help from Biggus (top man) and Jon Helm (not for the first time) and the bike was fit again for racing in minutes. Pretty lucky given that the bike had flipped.

Rider fine, bit stiff and a friction burn. Plenty of local sedative helped pass the evening!!

The second race was a bit of a struggle but quite satisfying. The track had dried so it was our first session with the Super Corsa Pros fitted. Having binned it in race 1 I started down on row 4 in 16th place. Gave it my best and made it up to 8th. Plenty of fun getting past a few mates.

We enjoyed a couple of beers in the bar in the evening, put Emily to bed and then headed to Wal's famous BBQ. Sadly the weather was really poor so we huddled in the awning. Plenty of bubbles were sourced at the local Supermarket by myself and Chief Wobbler and then consumed at the BBQ.

Sunday a.m. was wet again but the track was drying rapidly. I fitted some new brake pads, put the wets on and headed out for a steady practice to bed the pads in. The first race was dry, in fact the weather had done a u-turn and it was now a lovely day. I started 8th on the grid and was determined to make it to the front. Truth is I was trying too hard and as a result I probably was crunching the gears down too hard. I hit a couple of false neutrals and lost places as a result. Ended up 12th. Seriously disapointed...more so than crashing out of third place.

I re-grouped for the final race. Starting 12th I concentrated on getting a good start and then relaxing.....concentrate on braking markers and lines and not worrying too much about the others. Chuffster got a belting start and I followed. We did several riders in the first corner and then I chipped away at those in front (including the Green Machine Cool ) and ended up 6th with my best lap time of the weekend. Big smiles afterwards.

Sunday evening myself, Jacqui, and Emily headed for a little campsite on the coast. A walk on the beach, lovely meal in a local French cafe and early to bed.

Home on Monday with an unusually traffic free run back up the motorways.

All in all the trip to France was fun, but a very disappointing points haul. I reckon I have dropped fro third to fourth in the championship. Still, I walked away from a high side, went very quick in the wet, and pulled it together for the last race.

It could be difficult to make the next test day at Snetterton but a couple of the top MRO racers have offered to take me round the circuit and teach me and push me to some seriously quick times that they reckon I'm capable of. Reckon I shall have to organise work around racing....just don't tell the boss Wink

Speak soon!

DavidH

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Smokin Haydock Blog All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: