www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mallory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Smokin Haydock Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Spam Lord
Spam Lord

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Mallory Reply with quote

Well its a peculiar track. Its all about outbraking people and risking running on or binning it. The layout doesn't have any flow so doesn't give you the chance to plan overtakes in advance. Still, at least its still racing and I don't believe us minitwins had more crashes than normal.

I got there just before the gates open time of 5.30. Had to wait a shortwhile and then we all trekked in. Fortunately Chuffster was waving his hands around and had reserved us an excellent spot. First job was to get the bike scrutineered. Second job was to unpack the van and get set up. It was our daughter Emily's first race meeting of the year. She was buzzing so we set off on a track walk with Emily cycling.

I'd tested on Wednesday afternoon so knew the circuit reasonably well but was still surprised at the number of bumps, patches and surface changes.

Sunday morning I took it easy in practice. Circuit was a bit damp and patchy so not a time for heroes.

For whatever reason I was incredibly nervous for the first race. I was on the front row (4th) and made a reasonable start, a bit of trading places on the first few corners and made it up to 3rd. Again, traded places and ended up 4th. Very very close to a pot but all the same a good haul of points and my challengers for third in the championship were behind me. Also got into 1min 6's. Had a few visitors so it was good to put on a show.

Second race was really poor. I just wasn't trying hard enough and can't really explain it. A disappointing 9th and 1.4 seconds slower on best lap.

Sunday night was a good social. Wal and Pam did the BBQ and it was excellent. Emily was on good form and even told us when it was her bedtime! The wine flowed copiously, and I knew about that the next morning.

Monday was wet, and then dry, and then wet, and then dry. Had the wets on for the first race. Started 9th, finished 7th and thoroughly enjoyed the wet riding. The pre-season testing has clearly helped 'cos I was rubbish last year.

The second race was a bad tyre choice. I though the pre-race shower would have dampened the circuit so went out with wets. Damn circuit was bone dry! Still, put on a decent show and even equalled my laptimes from the second race on Sunday. Started 7th, finished 8th, and the tyres wasn't too badly damaged. Quite exciting with the bike sliding around knee down hard in 5th (100mph+). The race was red flagged after a rookie binned it in a chicane and Wal hit his bike causing it to burst in to flames. Sh*t happens in racing. Wal was fine and his bike isn't too bad. Unfortunately the other guys bike was a mess. Hopefully he can get it sorted for France.

All in all not a place I'd rush back to but looks like I'm still 4th in the championship and only 1 point off third. I like Croix so looking forward to flying off the front row for a good points haul!!

www.thunderbikeuk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Smokin Haydock Blog All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: