www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 8th and 9th report.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: April 8th and 9th report. Reply with quote

Lydden Hill Report

For me, the weekend racing started on Wednesday night. Due to local constraints at the circuit we could not test on Friday as usual, we had to test Thursday. Back from work Wednesday, pre packed caravan hooked straight up and off I went. Got to the track at about 21:00 and the place was already heaving with folk. Managed to get a half decent spot and next to some nice peeps as well, always helps.

Camp was set up, the bike put into the awning and work commenced. Well for a few minutes at a time as the generator powering my lights kept going off. Managed to change the sprockets and do some checks etc before turning in at 00:30 for the night. I had selected to run 14/46 ratio for practice.

The morning came, frosty start. I went and signed on but decided to sit out first practice and wait to see what happened. For a track test day you get 15 min sessions, not the 20 you get on a track day.

Went out for the second session, bimbled around to start with, but, started to pick up the pace as confidence grew.

Went out on the next one, pace increasing all the time. I was a bit disappointed that there seemed to be lots of 400’s and not many SV’s out there. SV’s are my class and you can’t really judge your performance unless you come up against the same bikes.

Out again before lunch break, pace quickening. Enjoying myself but sure the gear ratio was not right.

Over lunch I discussed gearing with Ian Gilder, 2nd in the Clubman Mini Twins championship. Time for a change now, going to try 14/45 and see how that goes. Just about to change and I got summonsed to ‘THE OFFICE’. A slapped wrist for me, (as well as a few others), for overtaking on a yellow flag. Learnt my lesson, you are not allowed to overtake until you get past the next green flag.

So after lunch, out on 14/45 gearing and all seems much better. I could get round Coram Curve further before I had to change gear. Changing with the bike cranked over on its side is not ideal. I was now changing with the bike at less of an angle. The back wheel was not locking up so much entering the hairpin and the confidence was rising.

Another 2 sessions in the afternoon. No dramas for me. Wal (aka Kav Furnish) came off on Coram Curve towards the end of the session. Wal is a great guy that I met when I followed the racing last year, awesome BBQ merchant. I rushed back to inform his crew and managed to convey that he looked ok as he was up and moving. Fortunately he was just about fine, a tad bruised and the bike had escaped virtually undamaged.

Thursday night after chatting to a few people I bedded down early, theres nothing to do at Lydden Hill at night.

Up on Friday, a nice fried breakfast cooked and down the hatch and time to work on the bike. New tyres on the rims for starters. Wheels reinstalled to the bike and the bodywork off for some repair after the crash at Snetterton. So some fibre glassing took place, while that was drying some tinkering on the bike and giving it a clean. Everything reinstalled and off to scruitineering just gone 15:30. I made it back just as the heavens opened, result or what. Even pushing an SV up the gravel slope of Lydden is not easy, I was glad I was on the first tier. I helped my colleagues next door push their bikes back up the hill, least I could do and it was a bit of fitness.

Justine joined me in the evening, I was hank marvyn by now and cooked up some pasta dish that we sat and ate. She came down by bike, due to the weather I installed it to the back of the van as I had ian’s bike in my awning with mine. He had to go home and had left his steed in my hands!

Finally a couple of my mates turned up, one rides in Supersport 400 and the other in Rookie 400’s. Helped them set up camp next to me and finally turned in for some sleep at gone midnight. Alarm set for the next day, slumber time. Well I beat the alarm and got up. Mooched around outside, nice and cold, another frost.

Kit was put on and down to get that scruitineered, passed eventually. They wouldn’t let me use the gloves as they had a hole in. Just a tiny one but they noticed.

My mechanic turned up, nice and wet and cold. The heavens had opened again. I left the dry tyres on the bike as it was clearing up. Then down came more rain, the first group went out for warm up and I decided on wets. So wets were installed and I waited patiently for my go out there. The time came, I managed to put in 10 laps in the wet, not running at anywhere near 100%, more like 75, I put in 6th fastest time. I felt very good out there.

After all the classes had warmed up racing proper started. By now the track had dried out and so I swapped to dry tyres. I watched some of the racing, especially my two friends in 400’s. My rookie mate came 2nd in his race, another great result. I came back to find a visitor. We got chatting etc. I had everything ready for my race and had half an ear on the tannoy system for my call to line up. Well I never heard it, my mechanic said ‘isn’t that you out there?’ as we heard the rumble of twins on the track. It sure was, I had missed it!

Livid, distraught, inconsolable etc are words for my state. The head was down. I was swearing like a trooper and a right old grump. I should have been 11th on the grid and had been hoping to go forwards.

Boy did I get some stick from people when they came back in from the race, this only served to make matters worse.

After I while I calmed down a smidge and went to the office, hearing what I had feared, I now start at the back. Rowlocks and things like that came forth when I was out of earshot of the staff.

So that was it, I was ready and pacing, I was not going to miss the next one, lesson seriously learnt. As opposed to being on the attack as I had hoped, I was now on the back foot once more. All I could do was hope that I make good progress up the field so that I could do myself justice on Sunday.

I got down for the second race 3rd bike and sat there, tyres cooling off badly while I waited patiently for the collecting grid to take shape. I joined the back and went out onto the circuit. I lined up on the parade grid, feeling like a right twit for what had happened earlier but also going through my head how I could make progress in this race. Off on the parade lap, trying to get some heat back into the tyres I went. The start proper, adrenalin pumping, heart pounding, nervous as hell. The lights come on, the lights go out, I get a good start and carve through a few people into the first corner. It’s a sea of bikes, you can see no way through. I am on the inside, I need to be on the outside, I make a move, through I go, past another couple. I slam on the brakes for the left hander, Devils Elbow, past another on the brakes. I power up the hill, past another into the hairpin. Back down the hill, through Paddock bend, hauling the next one in. Progress had been made, I had gained places but I needed more really. By now, I had virtually no front brake, the lever was coming into the bar, big problems. So despite knowing in my head that I could haul the next bike in, I played safe and finished the race. Where I had come I had no idea. Perhaps 17th or so. You could say it was a result, I finished 14th and got two championship points. I was still desperately unhappy though, what if I had ridden like that in the first race, I could have been top ten etc etc was going on in the head. My anguish at the mornings events would not subside. I got changed and went off to see the rest of the races. I bumped into people from other classes and people who were just there to watch. Some I don’t even know but they were all complimenting me on the ride, that did something to help my poor anguished little brain and I thank them all, whoever they were for their kind words, it seriously helped.

Now it was time to worry about the lack of brake, I found Steve Jordan who said he would look at it Sunday morning for me. A great offer and one I gladly accepted. The brain was still going though, the worry wouldn’t go away. I bumped into Gary from SDC who said that I had ridden well, he is a top racer so they were good words. I told him about the brake, bring it straight down he says and we shall have a look at it. If you need a new system we shall get one for you and get it installed. What marvellous service from someone who supports his own guys and had lots to do. So I took the bike to him and between himself and one of his mechanics they worked on my front brake. It had loads of air in it and they bled it all off for me. So with a front brake, feeling far happier, much more buoyant than earlier it was time for dinner.

I cooked up a chicken curry for four, popadoms, lime pickle, mango chutney for starters. Medium curry and rice with nan bread for main course. Appetite sated, we chatted some. Ian Gilder came and paid me another visit, what a superbly nice chap he is. We talked about the race. He may be second in the championship but had lots of praise for my ride, how he knew what I had done I had no idea but it was great to get that encouragement from someone who rides so well.

I didn’t sleep that well, brain was in overdrive. Trying to work my way through the next race. Going through it corner by corner in my mind. Do I change the gear ratio? Do I put the 46 on the back to get slightly better drive? How is the traffic going to pan out? Lots of things and still the nagging of the stupid mistake of missing race one.

Sunday morning warm up, 3 laps out with the Dyna Pro mini twins. I seemed to go pretty well and was reasonably confident afterwards.

I got myself ready to rumble, the time was getting nearer, racing had started and I was race 5. No way was I missing this, the lesson has been learnt. My supporters from Boxhill had turned up, a couple from londonbikers as well. I appologise to any of them that felt I wasn’t paying attention but I was desperately trying to get the mind focussed on the even to happen.

We get called, I had the lid on and couldn’t hear it. The front warmer came off, the bike off the stand. No other mini twin moved, what the f was going on. The previous race had just been stopped, red flags were waving. Back on the stand, warmer back on, fuming in my lid, I waited. Eventually we got the call. I tried to chill and take my time, the nervous apprehension was unbearable. I wanted to do myself justice. Starting fourteenth on the gris, I wanted top 10, it sounds easy but trust me it isn’t.

We line up in the collecting area. Heart racing again. Off to form up on the grid for the parade lap. The parade lap sets off, time for a practice start, everyone does it or so it seems. Well I managed to go straight past the person on the outside, 13th on the grid. That was to sort of prove a point to him as well as to me. We form up for the grid proper, the lights come on, the lights go off, I reckon it was the perfect start, front wheel just above the tarmac in first and second, through third, into fourth, tipping into the right hander, its so far going well but there is a long way to go.

Well I managed to pass a few, how many, I don’t know but then I got stuck behind another rookie, he was not hanging around but I knew I could go faster. Everytime I got nearly alongside him going into a corner, he chopped me up. I was getting frustrated. A few laps of this and I got overtaken, more expletives eminate in my helmet, I am going to get past this dude somehow. Another lap of following, showing the wheel on the inside into the left. The inside going into the hairpin. Next lap, he must have known I was coming, he took a more defensive line on the left, I was on the right this time, I got the drive up the hill and was on the inside going into the hairpin, he only did it again, chopped my nose. I managed to stay right with him this time and was right next to him on Coram Curve. Late, oh so late on the brakes at Devils Elbow and down the inside I went. Up the hill, into the hairpin, I had managed it. Down the hill and time to haul ass, I caught up with the guy that had overtaken me and the other rookie. Last lap, I am gaining. I am right with him up the hill to the hairpin, I reckon I have him but Noooooo, he turned in and I would have been on the grass and probably down and out if I had gone for it. Down the Hill in hot pursuit, the last corner approaches, am I near enough to go for the inside? I reckon so, I can see the flag, I need to finish this race, I back off and follow him over the line, my front wheel next to his back. Its over, time to calm down. The feeling of going across the line knowing that you have done yourself justice is unbelieveable. I have no idea where I am, 10th or 11th, who knows.

Getting cheered by people you don’t know is a bit weird, but they were certainly cheering us all on when we came in. My supporters were clapping and cheering like mad. I stopped and yelled ‘where was I then?’. 8th or 9th came back. I could not believe that, I had done well. I was just so happy and upbeat I could not describe it.

I got back and set the bike up for the next race. I got the results, it confirmed me as eigth, I was over the moon. I must point out here that I finished 9th but the rookie who finished two ahead got done 10 seconds for a yellow flag infringement, if he reads this, I am sorry it happened but I won’t look the gift horse in the mouth.

So much much happier I watched some of the racing with support club. The racing was great. A few incidents occurred out on track. One particularly nasty looking one in the MZ250 race at the Devils Elbow. Someone lost it coming out, someone went off avoiding it, the next bike round went straight into the stricken machine and up in the air. It looked nasty. The race was stopped nearly straight away, medics tending to the injured. Seeing someone laying on the track having a drip put in is quite worrying. I don’t know who he was and havn’t heard about his state but whoever it is, he is a fellow racer and I wish him well.

My mate won the rookie 400 class again. I managed to get the supporters geed up for him even though they don’t know who he is. That was his third victory of the weekend. I feel so proud of him, a bit like a father really.

Its approaching my turn, time to concentrate. The usual routine, the collecting area, the grid formation for parade, the parade lap. I am now eighth, 2nd row, awesome stuff. Problem now is that this bit of the track is never used, there is dust and debris. Never mind, just do your best I am telling myself.

The lights are on, the lights go off, away we go. Not as good as last time but not bad I am thinking. I am piling into the right hander on the inside, I need to be on the outside but I am on the inside. There are bikes piling past, I am peeeeed off. Somehow I get a gap and get to the outside, livid I just go for it. Past a few, round the outside, down the inside on the brakes into the elbow, past another. I think I am flying but I have lots to do. I am desperate to get top 10. The race unfolds, it spreads out a bit. I am catching my friend Dave haydock, they are going into Paddock with me 2 bikes back in hot pursuit. Unfortunately for Dave, the guy he was following yanks on the brake mid corner and stands the bike up, Dave has no option but to do the same. The result for me and another couple, through we go, 2 more places made up. Its harder to catch and pass at the front I can tell you. I pick a few off. I can see two way up ahead, I can see that I am closing in. I pile into the Devils Elbow, way too hot, the back wheel is in the air somewhere. I go round in 5th instead of third, I am distraught, waiting for people to pile past and undo all the good I had achieved. I bang down the box and gun up the hill. I manage to pass a backmarker at the hairpin. The head goes flat down and I race down to paddock, I have lost ground but I am already catching. They are a long way off but I have to try. Still no one has gone past me, its unbelievable. Last lap flag is shown, they are still a way off but I am still going to try. I finish the lap and cross the line, I never got them but I was closing them down. I screamed in my lid in happiness at what I had done, I had an awesome race as far as I was concerned and I was absolutely elated.

I slowed right down to take in the atmosphere of my achievement, again there were people clapping their appreciation. For some reason they seemed to be looking straight at me. The usual leading rookie came from behind and shook my hand, a great gesture. He was not the only one either, I have never felt anything like it really, the friendliness of other competitors is overwhelming. I have no idea what I have just achieved, I reckon top ten, if lucky 8th. I come off the track, still people are cheering and clapping. I have the support club going wild, question is why. I yell again, ‘where was I?’, fifth comes the reply. Well I nearly fell off the bike in disbelief. Beyond my wildest dreams at the start of the season did I ever think I would finish there. I was hoping to be running about fifteenth really. I could have kissed and hugged everyone there, whether I knew them or not. To me as an older statesman and new to this game it was incredible. After the complete lows of Saturday this was off the spectrum at the other end of the scale.

I went back to base, still not believing what I had done. I had people coming and shaking my hand and congratulating little old me. ‘Awesome Ride’, ‘Superb’, ‘Well Done’ etc were the comments. I just couldn’t take it all in. I felt like I had won even though I was supposedly fifth. I went and got the result sheet, confirmed fifth, it started to sink in. Still people were telling me how well I had done as I walked through the paddock. I didn’t realise how much people pay attention to what is going on in all the classes or how on earth they knew who I was. I would like to feel like that again, it may not happen but boy am I going to try.

Now for what I think is a superb touch. The leading rookie came and found me at my base camp and shook my hand. Extremely complimentary and I know I did well to beat him, he seems to have plenty of natural talent and is quite young, maybe he will do really well in the future, I hope that he does. He says I have won a trophy, ‘What Me?’. Apparently the winning rookie gets a trophy, thanks to his 10 second penalty earlier in the day that meant I got two, now I really am gobsmacked.

Some of you will know what happened the week before this race weekend. Someone I know of, not personally but via mails, had his life cut short at the age of twenty in a motorcycle crash in London on Friday 31st March. I could not attend the funeral due to work even though I really wanted to go.

I am dedicating my first trophy to his memory, his words of encouragement were great. I hope that he is up there somewhere, looking down and watching. I hope that I did him proud.

Ali mate – R.I.P buddy.

I shall now finish this missive. The tears are rolling despite the fact that I have previously been described as a complete and unemotional b&%$ard. I really am not as hard as that as some of you know. There is a soft centre in here and I hate fellow bikers being injued, let alone taken away from us.

Links to a few snaps of yours truly.

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=bl3a3262.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=bl3a3270.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=bl3a3286.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=bl3a3308.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=nMGn4580.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=nMGn4581.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=pvla8994.jpg

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/BZ_shop.asp?event=CH&gallery=5&image=_B2P3021.jpg

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Chuffsters Blog All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: