www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index www.chuffster.co.uk
Chuffsters Forum

videosVideos AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brands atch Indy 7-9-2005

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffster
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Brands atch Indy 7-9-2005 Reply with quote

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit Evening Session on 7th September 2005 with Focussed Events

Well what a day, had been lovely and sunny all day long. I had a massive chill out day before attending Brands, was so chilled I was not really in the mood for it at all. Beating myself up mentally trying to get in tune. Got there about 15:45 and unloaded the SV and set up camp in the garage. Soon had a few of the Boxhill crew in the garage as well.

Went to sign on, I had been put into the fast group when I booked beginners. You may find it strange that I was in the beginners but I was actually down at the circuit to help Baloo out. Despite my protestations and ranting they would not move me. I was seriously peed off which was not helping me get my head into gear for going round the circuit.

Well we had the briefing, stressing the dangers and all that, as usual. This time it was so better organised than the last evening session we had. They had yellow jackets available for the first timers. They had cones in place in the pit lane to separate the bikes. The main thing I would question, why have only one instructor?

Well the novices went out first, must have been over thirty of them. I watched the three sighting laps, virtually everyone was on the wrong line for the indy circuit. Usual story of the instructor being on the correct line, the person behind slightly out, next more so etc. By the time you have got back 10 it’s pretty pointless really. Anyway, they came in after there three laps before being unleashed proper. Was good to see the gang circulating, looking good out there, even the first timers!

Well it was my turn to rumble. Tyre warmers off, paddock stands disposed of, sound of thunder as the bike fired up. Still not in the mood for this though but what the heck, give it a go. Did three sighting laps, back in and let loose. I went out nearly last for this, going through the motions really, not putting the usual effort in. Still had a fairly good run but even after 20 minutes I was still not mentally on the plot.

Next session, was more pumped now, adrenaline starting to kick in. Off I went, was having a good time after a few laps. Caught up with someone that I know, Steve who runs Brands Hatch performance. This year he is racing a Mille in the sound of thunder series. Well I caught him up, I think seeing him ahead was the incentive I needed for my wake up call. Spent a couple of laps following and then finally made a pass, which I managed to stick on him. A little way ahead was an ex colleague of mine, again he is running in the sound of thunder class this year, on a Triumph 955. Followed for 2 laps, tried to duck underneath at clearways, but had the door shut on me, that bike has way too much grunt against the SV down the straight. Decided on a risky manoeuvre on the way through Surtees, poetry in motion. Stuck it round the outside and dived way late on the brakes through Mclarens. Expected him to come back at me down the start finish but had managed to gap enough to stop it happening. Steadily pulled away before the session end. Came in, sweating buckets but very happy. Now completely focussed on the job in hand and having a ball. There was another SV race trim bike running that I had overtaken. Didn’t catch the guys name but he came and checked out my machine after the session. He is going to race in the same class next year, it's getting very popular this mini twin racing.

Next session, managed to go out at the front, my two race mates behind, guy on the other SV behind them. Got my first warning for close overtaking! Thought I was going to be in for a real hum dinger with those two behind me. Being racers on bigger bikes they weren’t going to be happy with an SV ragging them out. But it did not materialise. When I finished the first lap there were still people coming out of the pits. Well I was way on the plot now, overtaking round the outside at Paddock Hill, Surtees and Clearways. Ducking underneath people into Druids and Graham Hill Bend. I was having a ball. I managed to lap the guy with the SV, he was trying hard, he had sparks coming off the exhaust round clearways when I went underneath him. Session over, in I came, dripping even more.

Managed to get a fourth session in, another warning for close overtaking. Had to change lids due to the twilight conditions, clear visor required instead of the black one. Poxy Shoei I had on kept steaming up and I had to have it open a bit. Had another great session. Sticking it over some serious kit that was out there. Session over, in I came, exhausted but elated.

Thumper had unofficially been timing me running 54 second laps. That’s 2 secs up on what I have managed before, things are going well. Roll on race season, I just can not wait for it now.

I would like to thank all those that came down, not just the riders but the watchers as well. It really does help having people there that you know. Great time had by the whole of the Boxhill team, despite a couple of near disasters. Mike landed up on the grass. Lost got lost in the gravel. Wildman was attempting a high side spinning up the rear at clearways. Other than that I know of no real incidents.

When I checked the bike over afterwards, I found loads more damage to the fairing. I had scraped it from about half way down this time and completely ground through my previous repair. That is one thing I really need to cure over the winter, reworked exhaust pipes and narrower fairing.

I went and found the two racers afterwards that I knew, just to catch up. More than complimentary about my riding other than the Triumph guy who said his wife was not happy with me, she was out there riding a CBR 600 apparently and thought I had chopped her up. Well if it happened, it was not deliberate. Steve reckons if I ride like that next season I should be top ten finishing. He used to be a good racer and his son has been champion of Brands so I trust his judgement.

Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.chuffster.co.uk Forum Index -> Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: